My sweet Mia recently decided that she is going vegetarian! My husband recently told me that he is going pescatarian! Hooray! We are taking another giant step closer to being a completely meat-free home!
My mom also recently told me about these “Blue Zone People” who eat very little meat and live to be over 100 years old. I’m not a fad-diet person, or a diet person at all if we’re being honest, but if it involves no meat, I’m a supporter!
However, all three share a lack of enthusiasm when it comes to “fake meat,” or meat alternatives. I, for one, LOVE ❤ “fake meat,” but that is probably for the first time in my life, I can eat something that resembles meat without being afraid of eating it. We aren’t supposed to put dead things inside living things 🤷🏼♀️.
[ ❇ FUN FACT: I did not eat meat growing up due to a very debilitating phobia of vomit (better known as emetophobia), but did not classify myself as vegetarian because my diet consisted of strictly noodles, butter, and cheese until I met my husband. So basically, I was a carb-ivore. 😂]
I became determined to find recipes that make “fake meat” more appetizing to keep them from losing their interest in going meat-free and provide a variety of healthy AND large-family affordable meatless meals, using mostly ingredients we keep regularly stocked in our pantry. Using what you already have is the MOST eco-friendly thing you can do.
Let’s Get Cooking
◾ Fresh Ingredients:
- 1 Yellow onion
- 1 Green pepper
- 1 Yellow pepper
- 1 large tomato
- 1 LB. “Meatless Grind”
◾ Pantry Ingredients:
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 Carton vegetable broth
- 3 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 TSP dried oregano
- 2 TSP dried basil
- 1 TSP garlic powder
- 1/2 TSP black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup brown rice
- Get Prepared – Begin heating 3 TBSP olive oil over medium heat in your Dutch Oven pan (I prefer Lodge brand) + chop all veggies.
- Dump in your peppers & onions, after a few minutes add the tomatoes, cooking for another minute or so.
- Scoot your veggies over against the sides and add your meatless grind into the center & cover. Stir grind, cover. Stir grind, cover. Eventually you will mix all of the meatless grind in with the veggies as it cooks.
- Add your 3 TBSP tomato paste, stir. Add 1 carton of vegetable broth, stir. Add 1 TSP oregano, 2 TSP basil, 1 TSP garlic powder, 1/2 TSP black pepper, + salt to taste, stir.
- Bring the temp down to low, cover + let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add 1 Cup brown rice. Cover + cook until rice is finished.
- Serve, paired with a crusty bread. We chose French Baguette.
Found this recipe delicious? Please consider sharing! Make sure to subscribe for more easy & affordable meat-free recipes!
Have a beautiful day 🥰